Wednesday, May 31, 2006

role reversal

I love that, at one point yesterday evening, I was installing Lizzy's new carseat, and Matt was in the kitchen making dinner. A lovely Thai chicken/curry noodles feast, I might add!

He got the curry out of a box that I've been toting around for two or three years. We bought it at a market one time, thinking it'd be right up my alley. And then never had coconut milk lying around, so we never made it. Then we realized that part was optional -- D-oh!

I'm not a huge fan of mouth-melting spices, and this curry ... Whew. Would've been better on a cold, cold day. Matt and I were gamely trying to slurp it down, and Lizzy grew suspicious of the fact that we didn't offer her any. The peanut sauce held her interest for only so long. "What's that?" she inquired, gesturing toward the Demon Curry. "Oh, you don't want that, darlin'," Matt warned. As you can imagine, that inflamed her curiosity. So we scootched my bowl over to her and waited expectantly as she took her first bite.

She liked it! And ate a bunch more. What a curious little thing she is. I would've thought she would have hollered bloody murder. I'll bet she had some crazy, crazy dreams last night.

3 comments:

  1. When Elizabeth was younger she ate lots of really spicy food. She used to steal the jalapeno (sp?) peppers of her dad's plate and eat them whole. Now she's not a fan of spicy stuff. Go figure?

    And what you said about hot curry on a cold day... I've always been amazed that the hottest foods come from some of the hottest parts of the world... doesn't that seem odd to you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:00 AM EDT

    Ummmmm, the coconut milk is for taming the spiciness.... :) I will bring you some next time I see you.

    ReplyDelete