Monday, May 15, 2006

complaints on a train

Is it kinda ridiculous to gripe about people griping? Well, I'm going to do it anyway.

My office has a white board in the "break room" (where the water cooler, sink, fridge and microwave are -- not much breaking to be done in there, really). Usually, it reminds us not to dump coffee grounds in the sink, or to take our leftovers out of the fridge before they are considered a new life form -- that sort of thing. Or someone will make a snarky comment about how the board is too clean -- get it? HAR! Their very comment makes itself obsolete! The cleverness astounds me anew each time someone does it.

When someone is feeling especially creative, he or she will start a list. Inevitably, people who think they are clever will turn it into a negative thing. I am fascinated by the regularity of this occurrence. I started a list one day, as a test of this phenomenon, that was intentionally shiny/happy. "What do you like best about spring." Five or six people put a comment, then someone started "What's the worst about spring." That one gained comments quickly.

Today's tired subject was, "What annoying things do people do on the metro?" I will grant that most of these things were pretty pickin' annoying, all right. Clip nails (haven't actually seen that one -- but I have seen someone doing it in the office, come to think of it); talking loudly on cell phone (ditto! Have seen it in the office as often as on the metro; it annoys me far more here); loudly announcing to others in their party how many stops are left. "We don't care," said the commenter. "So keep it to yourself." The next comment went one better -- people who talk at all. "Guess what?" he/she said. "We don't want to talk to you." What? We can't talk now? When suggestions start reminding me of my encounters with Germans (in Germany), I realize the comment has gone too far. It's not very complimentary to Germans -- sorry about that -- but that's what wakes me up.

I can think of a few times that talking to a tourist on the metro has really made my day. The enthusiasm for their visit, and general openness, is refreshing. They usual stony-faced masses are a real downer. I, too, don't like to be able to sing along to someone's Ipod, but you know what? It's public transportation. If you have a better, more preferable mode of travel, people, employ it. If not -- just deal, and be glad that you're part of the great human race. That you have a pretty good job to head to. That you live in a city that's worth attracting tourists. (though I'll never understand why they come in the summer. I know, I know; summer break. But still. The humidity, ai!)

Don't get me wrong -- I delight in the mockery of silliness that we see on the metro. But when we start turning it into a 15-point list of gripes and rules, it's gone too far. We are too lucky, I think. We have to be griping about something.

And that's my gripe for the day. :)

4 comments:

  1. Seriously, it's not like somebody hid a crate of deadly venemous snakes on the train with a time release so they'll all get out in the middle of the trip in a attempt to kill a mob witness, and gosh, I hope Samuel L. Jackson is around....

    (Sorry, your title made me think of a highly-anticipated - by me, anyway - summer movie. Its title is also evolving into an appropriate response when someone's griping about something: "Snakes on a plane, man. Snakes on a plane." Approximate meaning: "Whaddya gonna do, man? Poop happens.")

    OK, I'm done being silly for the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coincidental title intentional! Ooooh. I didn't know about the time release... We might have to get a group together to see this en masse. Did you hear they re-filmed a couple scenes to get, er, a key curse-type phrase in? I normally would not approve, as you know, but ... This time, just maybe. I mean, it IS Samuel L. Jackson! And it IS Snakes on a Plane!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You could engage in counter-insurgency, you know.

    "What annoying things do people do on the Metro?"
    Response: 1) Whine about what other people are doing on the metro.

    2) "People who clip their toenails."
    Response: Yes, that's even grosser than people who clip them in the office. By the way, ever hear of Tinactin? Look into it.

    3) "People who talk on their cell phone."
    Response: Yes, they should wait until they get to the office so that they can get paid to waste time.

    If only I could find a way to use my powers for good instead of evil...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:58 AM EDT

    New List: What's Lame About Being
    Too Lucky.

    ReplyDelete