Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Your input needed

My friend Jayster, with whom I worked in Germany and who is now in California, requests that y'all give him some food for thought. He sent me the following e-mail this morning. I gave it my best 15 seconds of pondering, then shot back a reply. He and I would love to see what you come up with. I bet those who check in with this blog will have some great ideas.
(So -- let 'er rip.)

Good morning, Kate!

OK, so I might have told you that I'm doing this writing course through the Christian Writers Guild. One of my assignments that I'm turning in Dec. 31 revolves around the following question: "If you had a megaphone, what message would you broadcast to the Christian Community, in 100 words or less?"

What say you, o friend? I'm in the process of formulating an answer for my assignment and I've been asking all of my friends.

Tag, you're it. -- Jay

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:16 PM EST

    OY, Kate, I can't think of anything. Maybe I'll try again later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Put down your megaphones. Listen, why don't you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Mike.
    Sheesh.
    You always know what to say...
    Except, how are you going to make THAT 100 words?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's my recommendation, biblically taken straight from the book of Matthew.
    [begin statement thingy]

    But Jesus told him, "Follow me, and let the dead bury their own dead."

    The time has come for us to leave the dead to their own devices. Follow Jesus out of the gulag of overwrought theology, of yoke-heavying twisted "Christian" linguistics.

    The whole thing is FUBAR anyway.

    Take this for what you will, you pompous windbags. As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord, not a bunch of money-grubbing, power-mongering, hard-hearted harbingers of hatred.

    Hmm, maybe this is all a little harsh, but it comes in at 82 words, so who cares? It would get everyone's attention anyway. Nothing like a little hyperbole to get the action going, eh? Actually, it would get everyone's attention if my name carried a little more cachet in the Christian community. Maybe if I legally changed my name to, say, James Dobson or something?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah ... I'm with Mike, put down the megaphone first.

    Then:

    Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength. Love your neighbor AS yourself.

    Don't worry about defining who your neighbor is. Everybody is your neighbor. Treat everybody as well as you would like to be treated.

    Now do that every day.

    ReplyDelete