Tuesday, December 13, 2005

'L' is for Lizzy

Yesterday, when we picked up The Lizzard at school, all the kids (these are 3-year-olds) were proudly learning how to make their letters. The smaller ones, like Lizzy, were mastering the first letters in their names. Others had more letters down.
But I've never seen Lizzy draw an actual LETTER before. She does smiley faces, and they are soo precious -- a big circle, of course, and two long lines for eyes, toward the outer edges of the circle, then a big, curvy line, toward the bottom and all the way across the circle, for the mouth. The sweetest little childlike drawings. I have to get her to do one on ACTUAL PAPER, not her doodle pad thingie, so I can keep it for posterity. She is so precious.
She's calling me "mama" for some reason these days. And she does it kind of coyly, as if she knows it's a pet name. She's just been a charmer for the past week or so. *sigh* It WAS great to have a three-day weekend with her.

I'd like to say more about the weekend, but I can't for a certain reason. Nothing exciting. Just would spoil a Christmas present surprise. Not that that person doesn't already probably suspect what it is. Anyway, suffice to say, we had a good weekend.

------


It's the time of year when I get ACTUAL MAIL. It's so exciting! I'm capitulating this year, and (in theory -- the task hasn't yet been accomplished) writing a form letter to all. I figure, better they get something than nothing, as many got (or didn't get) last year. And also, if I'm being honest, it might be nice if the recipients could actually decipher what I wrote. But since my handwriting has regressed to the point of chicken scratch, it's best for all that I type something out.

So far, I've gotten four Christmas cards and/or letters. Yay! Yesterday's was from my dear friends Kat and John, some of the sweetest, most lovely, gracious, fun people you will (or won't) ever meet. They moved back to London (they're English) this year, and left us their car. Which they had taken METICULOUS care of in the four years they were here. Thanks, Kat and John! It's still purring like a kitten.
They're the kinds of people who invite the "orphans" over for Christmas, and cook a huge roast with roast potatoes and three veggies on the side and desserts that you pour alcohol over and then light on fire, and THEN make sure that you have several gifts AND A STOCKING to open besides. They're the kind of people who are actually sad when I show up without a then-toddler in tow. (Oh, wait. That's most everybody I know... Because you are ALL special people, as it turns out!)

I love getting these letters because they remind me of a few things: First, that I know some really amazing people. That I have been blessed by the company of some very special folks over the years. These letters also remind me of who and where I have been, and therefore who I am.

The first letter I got was from a very dear high school friend, Lisa, and I enjoyed every bit of it. Her husband served in Iraq for a year, and he returned in early 2005. So her letter was very thankful, and full of anecdotes about her three boys (bless her), and very fun to read. I love seeing how we've grown, in many ways, learning the same lessons, even though we've lived so far apart for so long now and had such different experiences.

The second was from my one-time boss and his wife, who showed me around and helped me adjust when I was in Germany. The wife, Kathy, was a fun lady who encouraged me to join the church choir, thus throwing me into the path of Germans, great classical music, and some wonderful memories. As well as countless rides, advice and other invaluable lessons, such as the admonition to weigh your fruit before you buy it at a German market. You might never be seen from again otherwise. Germans take their rules VERRRY seriously. Alles in ordnung, Ja!

The third was a card from a gal I used to work with here in D.C., who just had a baby and is holding her own quite well, despite the fact that her husband is a surgical resident and therefore pretty much never around. And the fourth, as I said, from Kat and John. I wish I could link to a blog, so those of you who don't know them could get more of a flavor of who they are, but THEY DON'T HAVE ONE, to my knowledge. (if you're reading this, K and J, consider that a hint!!)
I love my friends.

I'm reminded that my everyday life here, which can feel, hm, not lonely, but just so DIFFERENT from the more social way I used to live, is a phase. And a precious phase at that. How often will I have a little girl who calls me "mama" and draws funny, lopsided smiley faces and hugs me tightly around the neck? Not very often, I suspect.

Oh, and Erin -- you want me to link to your blog? As if my friends don't already know you? OKAY. There's an off chance they don't know Julie, so I'll do that as well. I'm so pleased that the world now gets to benefit from your collective wackiness. Julie, I can't wait to hear the Jane song performed live.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the link and cool costumes! Why was Matt not dressed up?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:25 AM EST

    Oh! I didn't know you meant me! Heh. (sheepish).

    ReplyDelete