Thursday, December 15, 2005

shivering on the job

Our computer system is down, and I've already exhausted most of the other e-goofing around possibilities I can think of, so it's time for ... a pointless blog entry!
Though I am a few "House" recaps behind on televisionwithoutpity.com. Oh, well. You're more important, right?!

It has been 63 or 64 degrees in my corner of the office for the past couple of weeks. The building's facade (or something) is being repaired, and rumor has it, the cold air is seeping in and making us miserable. We share a wall with a big, vast, un-insulated storage area, so it makes us cold... Waaaaaaah. Just had to whine a bit.
Lizzy brought home this icky cough thing that I cannot shake. I suspect the office temps are not making it better. After about a month of scary hacking, she seems to be improving, so there's hope for Matt and me, too.

Once again, weather promises to be icky enough to prompt school cancellations. Ugh. Please, God! I want to come to work tomorrow! You know it's ridiculous when I'm saying that. (Maggie, you are so sweet to volunteer to take Lizzy, but I'd rather wait until things were completely dire before calling on you. Thank you.)
For now, I'm hoping tomorrow will be okay. It's supposed to warm up, so there's that. You know, all the way to the mid-40s!
Here's where those of you who 'did time' in the Midwest or similar parts can tell me what a wimp I am. And you will get no debate from me about it.

I should add here how grateful it makes me, when I'm a little uncomfortable. I walk around the block to get my $3 Starbucks latte, and think, "Sheeminey, it's freezing out here!" And feel sorry for my little shivering self. Then I think about the homeless; those who can't afford their heating bills this winter; those in the South/Southeast who are without power because of the latest storm. God bless and keep them.

'Tis the season for three parties -- two holiday parties, one Christmas party, hee! -- in the next two days. One at day care, one at the office -- should I come in -- and one with the church gang. Lizzy's day care has put together a program of some sort for the parents, which should be insanely cute. They're only three!! I MUST remember the video camera.
We forged out to look for a five-dollar gift for her Secret Santa recipient the other night. Yeah, RIGHT. I'm finding that three is that age where it's difficult to know what to get a kid that they will truly enjoy. If you know they're into a particular thing, then that's easy. But, c'mon -- five bucks. We ended up getting a Bob the Builder tractor thingie for $10. I hope he doesn't already have it. I worry just a wee bit too much about these things. More importantly, I hope Lizzy doesn't do or say something rude if she doesn't like her gift. Urk.

The church Christmas party sounds so cool! A chili cook-off, and a gingerbread house-building contest. What fun!! I'm glad there are minds more (MUCH more) creative than mine at work there. And we're doing a neat charity function before that. Matt's more excited about that than he is about this Christmas party. I guess I shouldn't be surprised by that. (Sorry, sweetie!) I've never really seen this philanthropic side of him before. We talked about trying to find ways -- maybe annual 'traditions' -- to do stuff for others. I mean, there are so SO many possibilities. But sometimes, the day-to-day drudgery of routine can be hard to break out of enough to give, especially if it's in non-monetary ways. Still, obviously worth the effort! And we want to impress upon Lizzy the importance of giving; help foster a sense of meeting others' needs; etc. Wish us luck.

At the work party, we're going to have some wounded war vets visiting from Walter Reed. THAT should be interesting. I'm especially intrigued by this because (here's where I get in trouble) our reporters seem to have been strongly discouraged -- one might say, prevented -- from talking to these guys. Considering the nature of the folks for whom our paper is intended, this seems odd. I'm looking forward to seeing if there's much interaction, if anyone tries to write a story about it, or what. (note my careful omission of any proper nouns here. Heh.)

On Sunday afternoon, Matt is treating Lizzy and me
to a SuperGrover show. (Yes, whatever that is.) We haven't really been to anything like that yet with her, so it should be interesting! The best part about this story is that he initially told me it was a dinner party given by his boss and his good friend. So, did I want to go? I gave a weak "Maybe -- let me think about it." (I'm not so nice sometimes.) He said, ummm, okay... (this was via e-mail)
On our way home that night, he was looking in the back seat at Lizzy's cherubic little face, and said, "I can't stand it any more! I'm horrible at keeping secrets. Here's what we're REALLY doing." He explained that if I thought it was a dinner party, I wouldn't have fed Lizzy, wouldn't have cared if we were on time, and generally would have been grumpy about the whole enterprise. Which is all true.
It's nice to be with someone who knows you, but a bit uncomfortable sometimes, too, yes? :)

Cool! I just heard that the day care plans to stay open, unless conditions worsen. What a relief.

No comments:

Post a Comment