Thursday, December 18, 2008

P(o)C

My new computer? The one I spent my bonus money on, that I was so excited about?
Appears to be a piece of junk.
THIS is why I never owned a computer. Yes, in college, in the early-to-mid '90s, I used a typewriter. Trust me, it was pretty backward then, as well. But I just didn't trust a 'pooter with my precious midterm papers or whatever. I didn't want a crash the night before an assignment was due.
But life pretty much demands a computer, and now I'm kind of exctited about it. Also, I have a hubby around who's willing to help! He's no computer tech by trade, but he still has a lot better clue about the workings of PCs than do I.
And Macs, too. He bought himself one earlier this year. He's still pretty impressed with it. But, alas, the Apples are out of my reach, in terms of price. And I'm not altogether certain I'm 'hip' enough for one, anyway. I'm just barely hip enough for an iPod. Just b-a-r-e-l-y.
So my Dell arrived last week. I've been on Matt to hook it up, so that I could compose my already-late Christmas letter on the thing.
He did. I composed it. But sans printer or internet. These things, you see, don't seem to work.
And tech help is a joke. They, clearly, are trained in the art of misdirection, delay, transfer and blame deflection. It's a technical problem! Not a hardware problem! Hooey.
I don't know whether to exchange or return, at this point. I'm so frustrated. But I have no guarantee that any other (affordable) system would be better.
What to do? Except cry a little. :(

1 comment:

  1. Oh no! :( I find technology issues to be incredibly frustrating. They remind me of why I never went into math or science.

    ReplyDelete