Tuesday, March 04, 2008

kitchen collaboration

I had a Classic Marital Dilemma this weekend. So classic, I had to poll a few married friends at church for counsel.

The dilemma was this: Matt kindly agreed to a kitchen/fireplace room paint color that he wasn't sure about. I convinced him that we needed something 'warmish'. Not quite yellow, or orange, or brown, but some combo thereof. We settled on a color called 'Honey pot,' bought two gallons, and Matt and his brother painstakingly prepped the area (just the kitchen; both rooms was too big a project for one weekend) and dived into the painting part.

I went downstairs Sunday morning and had a gander. Um. Not so good. I started feeling a little queasy at the thought of all the hard work the boys had put into it, and the impression I had that Matt didn't like it much, and was just doing it to please me. But I wasn't that pleased. Should I say something at that point, or not? The edges WERE still taped. And the other half of the room had yet to be painted ...

Here's what we had. (Matt's holding up a jar of peanut butter because his dad, who actually said he liked the color, compared it to PB. If you ask me, you're being overly insulting of said sandwich spread.)


When we moved in, the walls were covered with blue-and-white flowery wallpaper. They've been blindingly primer white for the past six or eight weeks, ever since Matt and Nick stripped off the paper. So in a sense, any color was welcome.

More:



It doesn't look TOO bad in the kitchen, but on the big empty walls of the adjoining room ... I just couldn't see it.

So here's what we've got now. Feel free to render your honest opinion. The new one is a bit too 'male/austere' for me, but it's an improvement. And I can't honestly think of what color would be better ... and, c'mon! Oregon dunes! The only thing that would be more perfect would perhaps be 'Starbucks mocha' or 'Cougar pride'. But that last one would've meant crimson walls, which ... ew.





It'll all come together with the darker laminate countertops (granite's too rich for our blood just yet) and hardwood floor we're planning.

If anyone's wondering, yes, I do feel twinges of guilt for spending more time pondering kitchen improvements than the plight of starving children worldwide. But, there it is.

6 comments:

  1. I like the newer color, but I am generally partial to cooler hues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it! It looks crisp, and I think it will look great with dark countertops.

    We had a similar experience. We agreed on a color and then I forgot the paint chip, tried to find it again at the store, and realized when it went on the wall that it wasn't the right color.

    Sam didn't like the new color as much (and neither did I, which made me feel incredibly guilty after he had worked so hard on it). But now we like it a lot, and maybe we wouldn't have liked the other one after all . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:44 PM EST

    Hello!

    My name is Sep Kamvar, and I'm a digital artist and computer scientist based out of San Francisco. A few years ago my collaborator and I made a project called "We Feel Fine" (http://wefeelfine.org), which collects human feelings from the Internet. Basically, it searches blogs for occurrences of the phrase "i feel", and when it finds an occurrence, it automatically adds the surrounding sentence to a database. The project has been running for more than three years, and collects around 20,000 new feelings per day, having collected around 13 million feelings in all.

    We are currently working on a book about We Feel Fine to by published by Simon and Schuster. In assembling the book we have searched through millions of feelings captured by We Feel Fine in hopes of selecting what we believe to be the most powerful. From statements that made us laugh to ones that made us cry, the most important criteria was that they simply made us feel. One of these selected statements and images was authored by you. You can view the image here :
    And the statement reads : “I do feel twinges of guilt for spending more time pondering kitchen improvements than the plight of starving children worldwide"http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_EwvYEf74Gug/R82Pgo7eLMI/AAAAAAAAASo/C52bOtL6UPQ/s400/kitchen006.jpg"


    I am contacting you today to ask if you would allow us to include your image and statement in the book. We think this is a really beautiful sentiment and would love for it to be part of the book.
    Please let me know if you would be interested in participating. It would truly be our honor. If you decide you would prefer not to be included I thank you anyway and hope you will continue to express yourself as openly and beautifully as you did in this case.

    Sincerely,

    Sep Kamvar

    (www.kamvar.org)
    sep@wefeeline.org

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mr. Kamvar:
    I'm not sure how else to reach you, so I'll leave another comment here. It's all right with me if you'd like to include my image and statement. Your book sounds like an interesting project.
    Best of luck to you --
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:15 PM EDT

    Hi Kate!
    Thanks so much that is great news!
    It was brought to my attention that there was typo in my email address. Hope that wasn't the problem. If you would still like to participate we would still very much like to include your photograph. Please send me and email at sep@wefeelfine.org and i can provide you with more details.

    Thanks so much!
    Sep

    ReplyDelete