Thursday, December 06, 2007

sick day

Lizzy and I stayed home yesterday. She had what only amounted to a cold, but the onset seemed severe and unsettling enough to merit a day at home.

As long as we’d decided that she was definitely staying home, Lizzy was cheerful enough about the consequences. She was marginally okay with the fact that she’d have to take a nap, and she brought up the restricted diet aspect all by herself (mistakenly, as it turns out – it’s more of a flu thing).

“And I’ll have to eat selfish!” she declared.

“Eat selfish?” I said, utterly baffled.
“You mean, eat the word ‘selfish’?”

“No,” she said, looking at me pityingly. “Not the word – the letters! I mean, what they stand for!”

Then it hit me that she was referring to the BRAT diet (Bananas, Rice, Applesauce and Toast). Aha!

I love the occasional moment of insight into how her little mind works.

It turned out to be a neat day to be home, if we had to choose one this week. We went outside in the late afternoon and watched the snow falling as dusk descended and the neighbors’ Christmas lights blinked on. So peaceful.
And then I had to pretend to be frightened, and run shrieking, as Lizzy pelted me with little softly packed fistfuls of newfallen snow.

And we got a package from my mom that had to be signed for by the recipient. Thank goodness for one less errand to run (package pickup) this weekend.

1 comment:

  1. "eat selfish"-- that's great! Glad you two girls got a day to hang out together.

    ReplyDelete