Tuesday, December 04, 2007

loss

I had my first ultrasound yesterday afternoon.

It went pretty well. The doctor/tech/whatever her official title was, seemed very nice and attentive and put me at ease. Quite a contrast to the dismissive male I was treated to last time around (with Lizzy). No offense to males in general, but the ones I've encountered in prenatal care just don't seem to 'get it' like women do.

The doctor/tech found the little 'peanut' without difficulty, said there was just one (whew!), and pointed out its little flickery heartbeat. Even printed out a photo for me. It's quite the fetching grainy gray blob.

So that was all good. The dates seemed to match up to what I thought they should, at least within a few days, so ... so far, all is well.

But somewhere across town, a good friend of mine, also getting her first sonogram, was getting the opposite news. No baby to be found.

I don't even know what to say about this disparity of fortune. Except, it makes me deeply sad. In all my paranoia about what might happen (and might still happen; it's still early in the game, no guarantees) to my little peanut, I never dreamed anything would happen to my friend's.

There's no rhyme or reason to it. No rhyme or reason, whatsoever.

I'm so, so sorry that things happen this way. All I can do is pray. And hope for better things, someday soon.

1 comment:

  1. Kate, my heart was in my mouth when I saw the title of your post. I'm so glad that your baby is okay, and so sorry to hear about your friend's . . .

    It's such a strange and scary thing to feel this ferocious protectiveness about something (someone!) that we can't see or even sense for a long time, all the more so because it's inside of us. It's this awesome responsibility and complete helplessness at the same time.

    ReplyDelete