Thursday, December 20, 2007

looking for the weekend

I hate to come across – or perhaps be? – someone ruled by mood swings (thanks, pregnancy!), but it really felt to me this morning as if a recent cloud had been lifted. I’m not sure what the cloud is, or was – I think largely just the daily grind lately. This season is so relentless, it doesn’t feel like I’ve left, or perhaps created, any space to just enjoy it. And I do so love the Christmas (or should I say Advent?) season.

I don’t know why today seems so much sunnier. Is it that we’re so close to the long weekend, I can smell it? I don’t even mind the fact that I’m working Monday. It still feels like a long, no-pressure weekend lies ahead. Or that the traffic was so minimal this morning? To underscore that point, I noticed with amazement that there was a major accident that blocked two lanes of Hwy. 66 traffic at what would normally be a critical point in the commute. That accident (bless them – I hope everyone was okay. I don’t mean to minimize that) would have slowed things down 30 to 45 minutes on any average day. But FINALLY, enough people have left town to make it smooth sailing, accident or no.

Or was it the bit of festive shopping I squeezed in before heading to work?

I’d hate to think my mood could turn on such inconsequential things. But I’ll enjoy the good mood, anyway.

In other news, we get to inherit a pet for about a week and a half.! Lizzy’s classroom needed to find a Christmas home for their guinea pig, Graham Cracker. He is SUCH a cutie, and (I hear) so well-behaved. He’s even taught Lizzy to like salad! I’m all for any creature that can do that. I’ll have to post some photos of our short-term resident. Maybe he can make friends with the squirrels.

Lizzy’s going on a field trip, on the metro, to see Santa Claus at a local mall (Pentagon City) today. McDonald’s lunch is also part of the plan. Should be quite a time. She said it was a good thing they weren’t going all the way to the North Pole to see him, because she wasn’t quite dressed for the weather there.

1 comment:

  1. All is merry and bright, eh? Perhaps someone at Starbucks slipped some brandy in your pumpkin-spice latte?

    ReplyDelete