Thursday, June 14, 2007

inside my head


In a conversation with my husband last night (which I'll go into in another post), Matt gently tried to say, in not quite these words, that I'm a very traditional -- one might say, rigid -- thinker. That I'm not so good at thinking outside the box. (I will relay the subject matter of that conversation in a subsequent post.) And, he's right. It's one of those things I started realizing about myself probably not until my mid-to-late 20s. Which isn't to say 'buck the rules!' 'anarchy! YESSSS!' I'm not talking about stuff like that. I mean, different ways of coming at something; different approaches aside from the traditional.

I've been trying to improve on this, when the opportunity arises. But it's almost always a conscious effort. I'm in awe of people for whom it comes naturally. Maybe it's partly some sort of insecurity holdover? I don't think of myself as being insecure most of the time, but every once in awhile I'll remember the girl in jr. high (me, if that's unclear) who wouldn't ever do her hair differently, lest it attract attention and perhaps scorn, and wonder if any part of that still resides in there somewhere.

I'm saying all this now because I kind of wish I'd thought of this before I paid (mumblemumble) to get my wedding dress cleaned.

but keep in mind that my dear husband is the one who likes everything in a room to match, AND have a function, whereas I'm much more eclectic. That's not to say I pull off the eclecticness with any sort of success ... I just don't care if I achieve, and in fact, kind of don't want, matchiness. I wonder what he'll say when I finally pull out of storage all of the European knick-knacks I rounded up over the 19 months I was in Germany...

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:43 AM EDT

    I took a deep breath and washed mine in the washing machine (I read about it in a book). Since it was very plain, it seems to have turned out fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:43 AM EDT

    Oops--sorry, that was me.

    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  3. . . . and I didn't even finish my comment, which was that I'm totally with you on adoring thinkers-outside-the-box. Like the other blogger ES, for example?! I think my writing is not as interesting as other people's because it always has to be linear--I really admire people who can tell stories in more imagistic and non-sequential ways. Sigh!

    ReplyDelete