Wednesday, July 05, 2006

yee haw

Most exciting things I've done since Saturday, in order of greatest excitement:

1) Found a Lightning McQueen car at McDonald's! Amazing. Yes, I was that idiot customer who held up the line whilst the cashier hunted it down, but honest -- I didn't even ask for it, specifically. Just asked which cars they had left. Jackpot!

2) Watched fireworks last night. Yay! With friends, no less. Didn't get caught in the crush of people in 'downtown Manassas,' but unfortunately did get stuck in the cross-town traffic en route to home. Oh, well. Still beats being out in public during the festivities. (more firework-related material in future post)

3) Got the air conditioning fixed on Sunday afternoon. You remember the day -- the one in which it was NINETY-FIVE DEGREES out. This would have easily ranked as my most exciting event, but for the high cost of repair (if one year equaled $100, it cost about as much money as Lizzy is old) and the fact that the repairman figured we'd need an entirely new system within the next year. Ouch.

4) Had only a few kids to watch during church! I feel kinda bad about this one. Like we owe the church another shift sometime soon. So, fellow kid-watchers, you know whom to ask if you need someone to take your turn.

5) Found the reusable Starbucks cup I lost, which entitles me to 55-cent refills on coffee. YESSSSSS. (it was on the floor of the car. The car that prompts Lizzy to brightly proclaim every now and then, "John said our car has a LOT of JUNK." Yes, Lizzy. He did. And, it does.)

Speaking of Lizzy -- this, by the way, was NOT a highlight: As probably anyone who knows Lizzy very well knows, she LOVES babies. She's always threatening to hold them, and rubbing their wee fuzzy heads, etc. So she was stalking the only baby at last night's 4th of July party, and his poor mother. (for her sake, I shall not name them here, but it's kinda pointless because most of you can probably suss out who the parties were.) I noticed that she skipped off after them into the living room a couple of times, and showered the baby with attention. The mother is a kind and patient lady, and as far as I could tell, Lizzy didn't seem to be interjecting herself too much, so I didn't worry about it.
This morning, she tells me, "(Baby X)'s mommy was feeding him milk last night with ... (struggle to find the right word) her 'elbow tummy.' "
"Oh, was she," I say, with alarm. Oh, poor Baby X's mother. I'm sure it's barrels o' fun to try to breastfeed your baby with a curious 3-year-old hanging over you.
"Yes!" Lizzy says. "The wasn't any more milk in the bottle, so she had to feed (Baby X) milk with her elbow tummy."

I confess -- I let it go. "Hmmm," I said. That anatomy lesson is likely to come in our own family soon enough. But it's weird, because we've given names to these 'elbow tummy' appendages that women have. I just never know how things are going to filter through that curious little head.

elbow tummy?

1 comment:

  1. Kate, do you have a home warranty? Mine is about $400 a year, and then there's a $50 deductible with each repair and they pay the rest of the costs for the whole thing; if your a/c is working but about to die, they might cover the new one . . .

    ReplyDelete