Thursday, July 13, 2006

today's wedding topic


Not a subject to fascinate, perhaps... Hymns.

For those of you still with me: Thoughts? Suggestions? I'd like to have a hymn or two. As a way to pad out the wedding, I admit, but also because I love hymns, and it seems like a neat way to get everyone to participate and come together, in some sense.

So I'm looking for a wedding-appropriate hymn, and so far I've come up with -- nada. Did any of you married types use hymns? Which ones? I thought of one that I love, and read the lyrics and the history a little closer, and realized that it was written by some guy who was dumped by his fiancee when he went blind, and wrote the hymn years later, in despair, on the day his sister (who helped him through all this) got married. Perhaps not the best pick.

And, it should be something that Matt wouldn't object too much to. No, "Jesus, my fair redeemer, You're the only thing that matters to me" sort of blatancy. (yes, that's an actual word. I was surprised, too.)

7 comments:

  1. Hmm. Why aren't there any hymns with lyrics taken from the Song of Songs?

    We just had a soloist singing pop love songs at our wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, no bright ideas. But for your entertainment, a hymn related anecdote:

    During the first Sunday that Jason & I tried out the new church, we sang a hymn. During the whole time, I couldn't control my giggles. When I let Jason know that I was giggling at his tortured warbling, he vowed never to sing a hymn again. I have groveled to no avail, but give me time. If you do include a hymn in your ceremony, I will contrive to have his joyous warbling bless all who are present.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had joyful, joyful and that was nice. It was sung as we were leaving. We also had another one that I can't remember right now. The words were good, but the tune was a little dirgey. I'll try to remember what it was.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just looking at that one, Maggie. Hey, as you're walking out! What a great idea.
    Darn. It occurs to me, now that you say that, that it might be too "upbeat" -- no, what am I trying to say -- too exciting? for the middle of the ceremony.
    Back to square one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The other hymn we had was called 'O Perfect Love' and it's very weddingy, but maybe not all that interesting. I think we may have tweaked it a little to our liking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know what you've already found, but you can look up traditional wedding hymns, here:
    http://www.cyberhymnal.org/top/topics.htm

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous11:51 AM EDT

    One of my favorite hymns is Be Thou My Vision, but it is sung at more than 50% of the weddings I attend.

    I still like the one you linked to, despite its sad provenance.

    ReplyDelete