Wednesday, October 22, 2008

young love


Lizzy announced last week that she has a boyfriend. His name is David, and he is in her class.
Apparently, this relationship is SERIOUS, and requited, not like the crush she has had since the start of school on Connor, the boy who lives down the street (but we're not sure where, just that he gets on the bus at the other bus stop) and whom she would spy in the school hallway or the cafeteria from time to time.

David, apparently, acknowledges that Lizzy is his girlfriend, and yesterday wrote her little notes on scraps of paper. Two of them said "I (heart) you I (heart) you I (heart) you," and one said, "Your the best."

It's not so much this early declaration of love that has me a little puzzled and a mite tad concerned. It's that Lizzy seems to be taking it so seriously.

I overheard her mentioning this boyfriend to our relatively longtime neighbor friend Ethan yesterday when he stopped by our house for awhile. I think he must've seen the scraps of paper, and Lizzy endeavored to explain the situation to him.
"Oh -- those are from my friend, David. He's my boyfriend, at school," she said. And then: "Sorry to talk about him to you." The social realization that this might (I suppose?) hurt Ethan's feelings ... wow. (for the record, Ethan didn't seem to care one way or the other. It's quite possible he has his own social dealings at his own school.)

She has explained to me a few other times that David PROMISED -- as many as three times, one day -- that he would play with her on the playground at recess. Unfortunately, sometimes he goes off and plays some soccer game or other in the grass with his guy friends. One day, Lizzy had to tell me the elaborate tale of the unkept three promises, and the resulting fight they got into, and the sadness on behalf of both during music class, and their happy reunion afterward. (Lizzy: "Do you forgive me, David?" David: "Yes." Hug.) She doesn't know where he lives, but he apparently takes Bus 3. Meaning his parents must be from a richer side of the tracks than we are! I hope they don't mind, once they find out. (yes, that was a joke.)

David is now in her reading group, and this delights Lizzy no end. She has repeatedly bemoaned the fact that he does not sit at her table, the "red" table. No -- he is at the "blue table." How can she BEAR it?!

I asked if anyone else in the class is boyfriend/girlfriend. Nope, says Lizzy. She and David are the only ones. I asked if anyone else knows about them. Yes! She says. Everyone knows.

I asked one day, just for fun, if Lizzy gets mad if he talks to other girls. "Of course not!" she said, indignantly. "Why should I? He can have other friends that are girls."

I plan to ask her teacher about all this when I have a parent/teacher conference with him in a couple of weeks. I'm curious to get his take on it all.

Lizzy was in agony the other night because I explained to her, in the midst of one of these conversations in which Connor also came up, that she really couldn't have more than one boyfriend, and she definitely could NOT marry more than one boy(/man). She just wasn't sure she'd ever be able to choose! It seems there are some residual feelings for Connor that she simply can't ignore.

I wonder if David knows.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! So young. :) So when she said, "He's my boyfriend, at school" and "Sorry to talk about him, to you," do you think she was implying that her at-home playmate was her "boyfriend, at home"? Either way, she seems very precocious to be so sensitive to others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like either David or Lizzy needs the 'you're/your' grammar lesson. Better get on that. If you're old enough to have a boy/girlfriend, you're old enough to not confuse the 'your' and 'you're'. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike, you speaka my language, brother. He may be a 6-year-old psychopath, but if he uses proper grammar, it's all good in my book! (I'm not really joking.)

    ReplyDelete