Friday, October 17, 2008

it's that time once again

I've officially decided what my most-loathed annual task is: Composing a self-evaluation for my boss to slap onto my annual review.
What is the point of this, anyway? What I think of my own progress/performance should have little to do with how I’m evaluated. Tell ME what YOU think. It’s almost lazy on an employer’s part. (it's not something my boss himself requires, I should say; everyone in the office has to do it.)
And it’s ingrained in me not to brag about myself. Not that there’s a lot to brag about this time around: Let’s see. I got pregnant about this time last year, and then I was out for almost three months of maternity leave, from which I returned only to take two days off for a funeral a week later. Yes! Star employee! But I think women are subtlely trained not to build themselves up much. If anything, we’re taught to knock ourselves down to make each other feel better. “No – you’re not fat! It’s ME! I’m the one who can’t fit into any of my clothes.” Taking a compliment is an incredibly awkward exercise. All in the name of empathy and sisterhood.
In any case, I am feeling ill-equipped to brag about myself, especially this year. I feel so foolish sending my boss an e-mail full of my supposed accomplishments. What must he think? I suppose he understands that he’s the one who asked me to do so. And he doesn’t seem to disagree. He gives me good reviews, so perhaps I should stop flagellating myself.
Still. I hate this. When “I survived the past year! Yay me!” is the best I can do … and yet, given our stupid new computer system, it is something.

On a related note: I have worked for this company for 12 years now -- 1 1/2 in Germany, and nearly 10 years here in D.C. Amazing.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you are all back safe and sound. How was traveling with the wee one?

    ReplyDelete