Tuesday, June 10, 2008

spousal science

The spouse and I are in the process (still? or is this lifelong?) of learning when to listen to each other, and when not to. I mean, I'd like to think we always listen; but, well, when do we believe in the greater wisdom of the other and take the proffered advice? Or believe the offered fact?

That may not even be what's coming into play in this most recent anecdote.

What happened is this: Yesterday morning, we left the house late (even for us!) en route to kicking off another workweek. Searing hot already, at 8:30-ish. And our car's A/C has been reduced to a trickle.

Needless to say, we were all pretty out of it. I forget exactly how this conversation got started. Oh yeah -- I mentioned that if Matt had any plans to do anything for his dad, this coming weekend was Father's Day. Matt said, "What? I thought Father's Day was yesterday!" Which sent me into immediate freakout mode. At first I thought, noooo ... but I'm so losing track of days recently -- I base things on a) how many days until Matt's dad moves out of our basement (meaning no offense to him; that's simply when a lot of home rearranging takes place), and b) how many days until my due date, not what's actually stated on the calendar -- that it COULD BE POSSIBLE.

"I talked to my dad yesterday! And didn't say 'Happy Father's Day'!" I wailed. "Nor have I mailed off his gift! It cannot be!"

"Well, I told my dad 'Happy Father's Day,'" Matt said. "But didn't do anything else. He did seem surprised that it was Father's Day."

Then I felt horrible for not having acknowledged the day's import to Matt in any way! I am a terrible wife and mother!

I sat there for a few seconds, weighing what was more likely: That Matt was right, and I had missed Father's Day, or that I had the correct sense of schedule in my head after all. I simply wasn't certain.

Then Matt spoke the words that set us both straight: No. It cannot have been Father's Day. If it had been, Lizzy's kindergarten would most surely have acknowledged the event with some sort of fanfare for the dads.

At least the day care has its act together, even if we don't.

1 comment: