Wednesday, August 01, 2007

juice for thought

Lizzy’s analytical little mind is churning at full speed these days.

Last night, we found ourselves watching the last 2/3rds or so of the newest “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory,” the one starring Johnny Depp.

Lizzy watched with us. I try to steer clear of movies that aren’t expressly for kids – I don’t really feel this one is, though I suppose you could argue that point – but since she started out asking for more “Back to the Future” – thanks, Matt! When did she see THAT?!! – I figured we’d be better off at the chocolate factory.

As I feared, she was pretty concerned about the welfare of the kids that left the tour. At first, she wanted to “be” Veruca Salt, but about the time little Veruca was being carted to the dumpster by a hundred little demon squirrels, she decided that maybe she didn’t want to be anybody in that movie. Good call.

Her reasoning skills are starting to shine especially brightly when it comes to manipulating us. She said, “I don’t want to sleep alone tonight! I’m afraid after watching that movie. Besides, Mom – you don’t like to sleep next to Daddy because he snores.” Hard to argue with that logic.

After the movie, she had lots of follow-up questions, mostly about Violet Beauregarde: “Is she always going to be blue? If she turned into a blueberry, how come her head was sticking out? Did it hurt when they ‘juiced’ her?” I tried to answer the questions, but also said, “You know, honey, it’s a movie. It’s make-believe. It’s not real.” Which she’s told me before, too, about things, so I know she grasps that concept..

Looking at her little face squinch up in concern, I pondered the fabulously ironic bit of the movie (obviously originally a book) in which the Ooompa-Loompas sing about how parents shouldn’t allow their kids to watch TV.


What do you get from a glut of TV?
A pain in the neck and an IQ of three
Why don't you try simply reading a book?
Or could you just not bear to look?

You'll get no
You'll get no
You'll get no
You'll get no
You'll get no commercials

(believe me – we read to her PLENTY, also.)

1 comment: