Monday, August 06, 2007

apparently, I think it is All About Me.

I wouldn't normally think I have a major problem with this particular phenomenon -- those of you who know me well are welcome to inform me otherwise -- but I believe in things being thrown in my general direction when necessary.

Yesterday, I saw the following two things.

This one is a really cool three-minute film we watched (and then discussed) at church. In short, from my memory:

In response to 'what is the meaning of life':
"People are life. It is all about them." Our connections to other people are what matter.
"And the real question you should be asking is: 'What is the meaning of people?'"

A deep message, nicely delivered. The other message in the movie was that we edit the messages we receive to fit our own circumstances. Of course, this can be good ('how does this pertain to me?' and then, 'how can I better myself, or allow myself to be bettered, as a result of this newfound awareness?'), and of course, it can be bad. ('how can I twist this message to suit my own needs, or convince myself that it doesn't pertain to me?') Etc.

By the way -- is it bad if I find that lead angel guy kinda hot?

Also, in the spirit of editing, I'd like to tweak one of my "contributions" to the discussion, for those who were there: I don't actually like 'happy' endings, per se. But I do like 'hopeful' endings. Endings that, much like, say, The Lorax, leave room for something better, or some kind of redemption. It might not be all that it was, but the situation might still be saved to some degree. We are older but wiser, and there's still time to act. Good might still come. Endings that leave nothing but despair ... ugh.

Hee. I like how, in the credits, under 'special thanks to', Jesus is the first name listed. Hadn't noticed that yesterday.

The second thing I saw was when I was reading the Sunday comics -- an unlikely activity for me these days. I used to read them, er, religiously, but just haven't found space in my day for such unnecessary pursuits over the past few years.

Are these occurrences merely coincidence?

The irony of all this is, either way -- whether these messages are something I was meant to hear, or not -- I'm making it all about me.

Ain't it the way.

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:19 AM EDT

    "I think therefor I am."
    René Descartes


    It's all about perception. You want to see something, so you see it, no matter how bad the distortion.

    Someone cynical would say it's programming or conditioning.

    Why does the bread always fall on the buttered side?
    It doesn't. But someone put in your head that it's Murphy's law, thus the inevitable conclusion that it must apply.

    What or who puts ideas in our heads, may it be some divine being or the poor bloke preaching from his ancient bible next to the supermarket entrance - that's for you decide and experience. It's what defines your life at the very core of it's existence.
    So don't wonder if, but why!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe if the butter isn't completely melted, or was spread thickly, it's heavier on that side! Depending on how high it was dropped from ...
    (I love it when I intentionally miss the point.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:48 AM EDT

    (I love it when I intentionally miss the point.)

    You were always good at that ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another thing I'm good at -- identifying myself when I leave comments on people's blogs. Otherwise, I might be construed as rude, creepy or even stalkerish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What about me? Doesn't anyone care what I'm good at?

    In other news, I like how you frame it-- sometimes we notice messages repeating in different parts of our lives that seem to speak to us. I vote for the Holy Spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Also, angel perfectly presentable but not completely hot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous10:42 AM EDT

    who was that masked man?

    ReplyDelete