Tuesday, April 10, 2007

the weekend

Man, we had the best weekend we’ve had in a long, long time.

Matt said that it was his first real weekend in about a year. And, he’s right. Between wedding-related planning and activities, that proposal for his job, the Christmas season in general, moving to a new house, and then working on two houses to get them ready for sale (but we’re only actually putting one on the market), he finally got a chance to relax a little over the Easter weekend. And by relax, I mean, drive around with us and his dad on Saturday, then go to church with us on Sunday, then do a few projects around the house that his nagging wife requested. J And it STILL felt like a casual weekend to him!

We had the best Easter imaginable. The aforementioned church with our great church family, then we went home and had some of Mommy’s lasagna (though it was pretty bland – my cookbook is still a victim of the move, and I guess I didn’t remember the recipe quite as well as I thought I would, but Matt’s and Lizzy’s opinions were very charitable), then a lovely, lovely walk around our lovely, lovely neighborhood. I strapped on the rollerblades that I bought nearly 10 years ago, and have used maybe a half dozen times. Matt grabbed his soccer ball and showed us some of the dazzling moves of his youth.
And Lizzy took her second spin on her brand new bicycle that Pop-Pop (Matt’s dad) purchased for her the day before, and boy, is she getting good! She was powering up those hills. And braking like a champ on the downhill stretches! (the photo is of her trying it out in the store.) Matt was embarrassed to have his dad pay ten dollars more than the asking price so that we could get the already constructed model. He said it just wasn’t the Maisel thing to do. But I wasn’t so sure we’d be able to pry Lizzy off the floor model. She LOVED it from the moment she got on it. And it’s Barbie princesses! C’mon. Made for her.
Lizzy joined in the neighborhood Easter egg hunt on Saturday morning. I was excited about it, until I remembered an Easter egg hunt or two from my childhood.
The bigger kids generally end up grabbing all the eggs from the younger kids. It's hard to stop them from doing so. This time around, the organizers had thoughtfully divided the participants into two age groups, but that put Lizzy in the 4-and-up category. Seeing as how she’s 4, you can guess that she didn’t get many eggs. The funny thing was, she really didn’t mind. I was the psycho mom, trying not to get steamed when I saw an 8-year-old go by with about 22 eggs in her basket (supposed limit of 10), and when I saw an egg, I would go stand about on top of it to guard it against any egg snatchers until Lizzy could get there. She even dropped one on the ground one time, and another kid swooped in and picked it up, and like I said, she was cool with it. I think we need to host an Easter egg hunt in our backyard next year. A private affair, with our friends, might be a lot more fun.

Oooh, and in a last-minute development, we got to color Easter eggs with our good friends down the street. Dee and I were amused by the different styles of egg coloring our children displayed. Ethan enthusiastically dived in, coloring egg after egg, whereas Lizzy seemed kinda concerned if an egg fell in and got immersed in the color if we had not actually planned for the entire egg to BE that color. They both did a lovely job (as did SuperSam!) at painting the eggs after the coloring portion. And Keenan seemed to enjoy watching. Dee and I mostly hovered nervously, waiting for disaster to strike. Ahhhh, egg coloring with young’uns. (I have photos of this event, too, which I must post later! The cuteness! I didn’t grab them in time this morning to add them here, however.)

Matt and I finally found my camera’s USB port last night, so I’m back in business with the personal photos to accompany blogs. Now, when I take photos, I’m thinking about what they’ll look like for scrapbook AND blog purposes. Hee! I just got Lizzy a little kid camera, too. For our trip to Disneyland (we leave April 20). So perhaps I can post some photos that she takes, too. That should be interesting.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know that easter egg hunting was so competitive.

    ReplyDelete