Sunday, March 01, 2009

other notes

Lizzy has come through a really bad flu the past few days. She stayed home Thursday and Friday, and Saturday we spent seven hours at the after-hours doctor clinic with her hooked up to an IV for most of it. She had been throwing up for most of two days, and was complaining about her stomach hurting, and I got worried. (also, there was a story in the newspaper earlier that week about two local pre-teens who DIED of the flu. Holy cow.) That was, naturally, not the most fun way to spend a Saturday, but I do think it helped Lizzy get better, and I don't know how it would've gone otherwise. So I guess the crazy inconvenience, etc., was worth it.
Work has turned into a giant nightmare lately. I know it's somewhat suicidal to complain about work on the great blogosphere, so I will leave it at, we suddenly have a lot more to do in my department these days. And since my department is small, that's a problem. It means that I'm mostly okay if I work like crazy and try not to worry about being as careful as I'd like to be, if I'm there five days a week. But if I miss a day -- and, these days, SOMETHING comes up most weeks (doc appt., child illness, snow), I am done for. I don't even know what we'll do when someone goes on vacation. (I should note that I'm quite grateful I'm employed, that doesn't seem to be in danger, I still like what I do, etc., so I really have nothing to complain about. I know.) Unfortunately, there's what's being touted as a huge (for the D.C. area) snowstorm bearing down on us -- I see it starting to fall outside -- and that portends absolute catastrophe for work this week. I hate being freaked out by snow. I'd love to be one of those people who enjoys it, but given the current work situation, I do not have that luxury. And I'm rather bitter about it all.
It feels like a real no-win situation, and, you know, I have enough stress right now. But we'll get through the week somehow, and my stock at work will slide a little further, and ... it stinks, but again, I suppose I'm still employed.
And there's always the hope of getting sleep in more than two-hour chunks someday. (which relates to nothing except the resulting addled condition of my brain.) I have faith it will happen. Someday.
Maybe the up side to the snow is that I'll have a concrete situation to point to when (as I've heard will be soon) we're capable of setting up a work-from-home situation. (I said CAPABLE. I didn't say PERMITTED.) And as much as I'd love to work from home a couple days a week, I don't expect that. But how grand it would be to be able to put in, say, a half-day if we're all home because we're socked in by snow.
Ahhh, one can dream.
So, enjoy the snow, those of you who enjoy snow. I'll take some small measure of happiness knowing that it pays off for someone.
But, c'mon. It's MARCH. In VIRGINIA ... Bah.

1 comment:

  1. I walked past you at the metro this morning but your face, while typically gorgeous, had STRESS written all over it. I'm sorry you're having such a rough time at work, Kate, and doubly sorry you had such a horrible time with Lizzie over the weekend... :^( hug.

    ReplyDelete